Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

250 Words blog fest

Yet another attempt to link up with other people via a mass blogging experiment/blogfest/thingy. This time, the challenge is to post the first 250 words of your story. Details (and a list of links to other blogs doing it) can be found here.

So, here's the first 250 words on my novel in progress, Memories. Although yeah, I'm probably gonna rewrite it because it's rather bleck, but whatever.


I’m going blind.

That’s what the optometrist says, anyway. For the last two years my vision has been getting progressively worse. He can never figure out why, mostly because he wouldn’t believe the reason if I told him. He just knows it’s happening.

I’m not… too worried. After all, without my glasses I can still see clearly, about an inch in front of my face. The doctor said that at the rate it was going, it would probably be a few years.

Of course, this is the part I’m not sure about. I’m going blind because of one of my abilities: I can see the future. But I can’t seem to see a future where I go completely blind.

This might, of course, just be some kind of cruel irony.

In the mean time, I spent most of my time being a normal eighteen-year-old guy. I even had a job at the bookstore in my local mall. Because when your vision is getting progressively worse, being surrounded by books with small text is obviously the best choice in life.

Then again, I still had my sight. The prospect of blindness maybe hadn’t hit me as hard as it should have at that point.

“Afternoon, Arthur!” the girl at the front counter called. I didn’t talk to my coworkers a lot. Most of them were college students who took the job because they thought it would be easy. Who in the world reads books, after all?

10 comments:

  1. Great premise, very original. I'm glad you clued us into the gender of your protag right away. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea! Would read on! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the opening line and the idea of your story. I prefer writers don't tell me what's ironic, but that's a personal thing (I get it's ironic). I'm very intrigued as to how well the guy can do his job with failing eyesight, but love that he works in a bookstore.
    I don't think it's too dark at all and I like that your protagonist is male, most fantasy stories use a female protagonist for future-telling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the premise. I'm curious what he'll do with his ability to see the future and if he'll lose his eye sight. Like mentioned before, watch your tenses. Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I really like the male future-teller, and I'm curious to see what you'll do with the plot. Just a nit-picky detail (and not sure if you wear glasses yourself), but I can only literally see an inch clearly in front of my face without my glasses. Fingers crossed though, I'm not going blind. I wonder if you might want to use a different expression, just in case the agent has similar bad eyesight...

    Good luck with it.

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachael: It's not actually an expression. He can only LITERALLY see about an inch in front of his face and his vision gets worse over time at a constant and alarming (at least for his eye doctor) rate. Hence why they think he'll just eventually go blind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    What a bummer, going blind and works in a bookstore - worst nightmare for most of us keen readers!

    Kind of mundane beginning, then WHAM, you sock it to us with MC's Shaman abilities to see the future! God knows where this is going, but I'm guessing it's going to be darn good read! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very neat concept. I already feel for the MC in the few short words provided! Although, I do sense a bitterness about him, even though he eludes to the fact losing his eyesight is not big deal. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh, i worked at a bookstore in college. Good times! It's actually how i met my writing group.
    I did not, however, go blind from precognition

    ReplyDelete