Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Drabbles 7, 8, 9

Fortissimo drabble 7

I knew it was a long-shot that I’d recognize him, but the morning after Halloween, I entered school looking for that guy I had made-out with. We hadn’t gone all the way; he was drunk and I knew I’d feel guilty about it later. And maybe his proclamation about liking guys was just the punch. But what better way to get over one guy than to try for another?

“Hey, Noelle!” I called when I saw her sitting at a cafeteria table with Rin. She waved but didn’t take her eyes away from her friend.

“My head feels like someone drove a railroad spike through it,” Rin said as I sat down at the end of the table. The smell of artificial eggs and turkey sausage from the kitchen tempted me, but I had a feeling I wanted to hear this. “And I have a feeling I made a complete ass of myself.”

“Aw, Rin.” Noelle hugged him to her and I turned away. I’d seen more than enough of that. “I’m sure it wasn’t that bad. You said HE wasn’t drunk, right?”

“That’s the point! I just… threw myself at him~” Rin let his head fall to the table, and Noelle frowned.

“I think he wants to be alone,” she whispered to me. She signaled for me to follow her, and we got about halfway to the kitchen before she turned to face me. “You’re gay, right?”

This was seemingly out of left field, so it took me a few seconds to respond. “Why yes, yes I am. Why does that matter?”

“What would you do if you got drunk and made out with some random guy?”

“That was Rin?” I said it before I could stop myself. Noelle stared at me. “I mean…”

“You took advantage of Rin when he was DRUNK?” she demanded. People were staring at us now, but fortunately, Rin was still busy banging his head on the table.

“He kissed me,” I said, not meeting her eyes. “I didn’t even know it was him. Hell, I didn’t even know he was gay!” I saw you two together last choir practice and…”

“Noelle clammed up at that, her brown eyes abandoning that hard glare she had directed at me. “Just talk to him. He’s a wreck, Keith.”


Fortissimo drabble 8

I’d gone to the beach with Rin tons of times in the past; it was actually our most frequent activity in the summer since before we were old enough to go there on our own and had to be accompanied by an adult or five. Because of this, I thought I had gotten to know how it would go: I would swim around, maybe get into a water fight with people that I knew. Rin would just sit there on a towel or blanket, listening to music and burning his skin cells to a nice, golden brown.

What I didn’t remember happening, though, was Rin staring off into space the entire time. Usually had some pretty nice conversations when I bothered to sit down with him.

“Rin? What’s up?” I said. His eyes were moving, now, and I finally figured it out: he wasn’t staring into space, he was staring at something. And when I looked, that something was… very male.

It was Ritchie, that guy who was supposed to be the choir piano player come Fall. He was walking out to the lake and picking up his daughter, who had been chasing the tide for a good half hour. It was also the guy I had seen kissing our choir director last Spring. Mind, I had never told anyone that.

“Rin? You are aware that’s a guy, right?” I said. Well it was rather clear, since he was just wearing swim trunks and a pair of flip-flops, but you never know.

“Yeah…”

“Rin, are you gay?”

“Yeah…” He stopped for a second and blinked. “What?”

“Are you gay?” I asked again.

Rin ducked his head, bringing his eyes away from Ritchie for the first time in what had to be at least an hour. I could see the blush on his face, though; I knew it wasn’t a sunburn.

“Oh my god, you are!” I said, standing up. I couldn’t stop myself and ended up clapping my hands, too, which got a few people staring at us. Rin turned laid down on his stomach and buried his face in his arms.

I sat down next to him and started rubbing his back. He was clearly embarrassed. “…sorry.”

Rin raised his head up enough so I could see his eyes. “It’s okay.”


Fortissimo drabble 9

I’d never been into the Salvation Army. It wasn’t that I was a clothing snob or anything, but I never felt the need for t-shirts at five for three dollars. Aurora dragged me in there on the last day of summer, though, saying I needed something outrageous to catch Rin’s attention.

“He’s kind of self-centered,” she had said.. “Or maybe dense. Unless you’re willing to just go up and confess your feelings, he’s not gonna get it. So at least get his attention first.”

I had come to understand that. When he had helped me after I was sick, I could tell he didn’t get it. When I smiled at him, or when I laid my head in his lap during Aladdin. Then again, he might have just been used to it, with how much I had seen Noelle sit on his lap, among other things.

“How do you feel about pink?” Aurora asked. She held up a shirt, baggy as I liked, but it looked like it had been colored by a highlighter. I shook my head, and she put the thing back on its wrack.

“Oh my god, Hawaiian print!” Aurora was laughing her ass off at this point, and she took a tacky-looking Hawaiian-print, button-up shirt off the wrack. Despite how funny she seemed to think it was, I took it from her.

“This could work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment