Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Fortissimo drabble 14

Fortissimo drabble 14

Aurora showed up at my house at seven am on the first day of school. I had been planning to use my own car, but she seemed determined to drive into Ella Woods High in her light-blue convertible.

“Have you had breakfast yet, Aurora?” Mom asked from where she stood at the stove. If there was one thing Mom did best, it was make breakfast from scratch.

Aurora’s stomach answered for her with a loud growl, and she smiled sheepishly. “That’d be great, Mrs. Bowers.”

While Mom continued with that, I led Aurora into the living room. Mom eyed us, then smiled and flipped some pancakes.

“Does your mom know you’re gay?” Aurora said. Mom had put a bag of donut holes on the coffee table to hold us over, and she chose one covered in powdered sugar. “I mean, you don’t go announcing it, but it’s not like it’s a secret, either.”

The donuts didn’t seem all that appetizing since I was smelling the pancakes and bacon cooking, so I let her take all she wanted. “I don’t think so,” I said. “Then again, most people outside the GSA don’t.”

I could hear Mom humming along with the early-morning radio. She probably wasn’t even listening to us; she wasn’t the nosy kind of mother that you had to sneak around or whatever so she wouldn’t find out your deepest, darkest secret and then go tell her knitting club.

Aurora sighed and leaned back, licking the powdered sugar from her fingers. “So you’re basically closeted and you’re trying to attract the attention of a guy who is, for all intents and purposes, straight.” She said it deadpan, so I couldn’t tell what she was actually thinking.

“Pretty much.”

“Well then.” Aurora leaned forward again. “Want a donut?”

No comments:

Post a Comment