Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fortissimo drabble 19

For our final few hours of freedom, Noelle wanted to meet with Aurora and Keith. I felt awkward around them since the day we visited Keith while he was sick; Aurora had acted so caring that I couldn’t help but feel like there was something going on there. I felt like I had been intruding.

“So why are we meeting them at the Salvation Army?” I said, staring up at the old building. Mostly I saw older people going in and out, with the occasional family with five or more kids trailing behind.

“Hey, don’t diss the Salvation Army,” Noelle said. She poked the tip of my nose before turning back to the building. Her face lit up. “Aurora! Keith!”

Keith jumped in surprise and just watched as Aurora let go of his upper arm and came over to see us. He looked uncomfortable, making it obvious that at least he hadn’t been expecting us.

I went over to him, ignoring Aurora and Noelle as they talked so fast I could hardly understand them. “Getting some last-minute school shopping done?” I said. I glanced down at the bag he was holding. I couldn’t see what was inside, though, so I met his eyes again.

“Yeah, she tends to drag me along without my permission,” he said.

I looked back at my two friends. “No wonder they get along so well. They’re different versions of the same person.” I shook my head and stepped a bit closer to Keith.

“What?” he asked, sounding caught off-guard.

“The thought of two Noelles terrifies me.”

The girls burst into laughter and waved at us, saying something about going to McDonald’s.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.” Keith was smiling in a joking way, and he bowed with a flourish.

“I’m not a damsel in distress,” I muttered, starting off after the girls.

I glanced back at Keith, who smiled in a more sincere way and said, “My mistake.”

No comments:

Post a Comment