Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Progress Wednesday

So I've decided that in an attempt to keep the followers of this blog interested, I'd post every Wednesday on just what I've been doing as far as writing and reading. It might not be that exciting at first, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!

Reading

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Specific books I've finished in the last week are Paranormalcy by Kiersten White and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. Both were on my mile-long To-Read list (that you can see on my Goodreads account) Crescendo because it's the sequel to Hush, Hush which I've already read, and Paranormalcy because when I was on inkpop, it was pimped so hard that I couldn't help but be curious.

If you're a follower of this blog, you probably saw me talking about Paranormalcy before. I'm not going to group Paranormalcy and Hush, Hush/Crescendo together, but many people seem to think they're both "answers to Twilight." Obviously I can see this with Paranormalcy, and I can see where people are coming from with Hush, Hush/Crescendo. But as far as Hush, Hush/Crescendo goes, I get a bit annoyed because most of the people calling it Twilight with angels haven't actually read it. But then, I guess you can say that about a lot of books.

I'm not going to put reviews here because I suck royally at things like that, but you can see my rating of them on Goodreads if you're curious.

Writing

As you probably know, I participated in NaNoWriMo last November and punched out my next novel, Fortissimo. Currently, it's sitting on my hard drive collecting dust. I don't intend to start editing it for a while. This is a bit different for me, because last year, I started editing Artistic License before I even finished it (though that was mostly because I had to have 10k words to post it on inkpop). I got an extra proof copy code and sent a copy to my friend Jessica because she's a huge fan of the original version, but that's about it.

Currently, I'm editing Artistic License scene-by-scene. I'm determined to have it in some ready condition by the time I have to submit it to the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, which means I have to have it in by February 6th. After that, I may start editing Fortissimo, since once I have the materials into ABNA, I can't edit my entry.

As far as actual writing goes, I've pounded out about 12k words of my new novel, Nowhere Fast. It's going pretty well, and I'm posting it on FictionPress just to gauge interest. Only the first draft will be online, and it's likely that after I've edited it enough to try out some agents, it'll come down. But it's always nice to have people pushing you along!

Well, I think that's it for this Wednesday. Until next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment