Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

ABNA excerpts I like 4- Homestar

Homestar by Anne Bauer was unique for me. It takes place in the 1980s, and to be quite frank, I didn't expect to like it all that much. I just don't like books that take place earlier than the nineties (perhaps because I'm a nineties child myself). However, I was surprised. The first thing it has going for it, in my opinion, is that the main character is gay. Not openly so, but Michael doesn't sit around angsting like many gay teenagers in books I've read, both published and unpublished. Michael's mother is also an alcoholic, but I found that she's actually put in a very good light; she's not presented as a bad person, just perhaps an unfortunate one. And that is what I believe makes this definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment