Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Scene Sunday (Fortissimo)

I'm currently editing Fortissimo, with a separate document to put in what I'm editing at the time so I'm not doing it all on the big thing and become overwhelmed. This is currently what I have in the editing document:


I glanced around. There were some students around, but they were too wrapped up in their own conversations to notice us. So I sat.

“Do you know how to play?” he asked. I was just sitting there, staring at the white and black keys before me. “You don’t have to look so terrified; it won’t bite you.” He took one of my hands and arranged my fingers over some keys. “Just try playing some scales.”

I pounded down, and a horrible combination of sour notes sounded. He let go of my hand, and I leaned back, blushing. “Sorry,” I muttered.

“You’re not a very subtle person, are you Rin?” He didn’t say it meanly, but he still looked like he was trying not to laugh.

The door opened, and I hunched my shoulders.

“Good morning, Ritchie.”

I looked up to see the choir director, Mr. Kais. He was a bit older, probably mid-thirties, not that he had ever told me. He was a great director, but he often looked tired, and his brown hair was starting to get grey patches.

Ritchie stood up from the piano bench and followed Mr. Kais to his office. They both disappeared inside, closing the heavy, soundproof door behind them. I sighed and fell forward, letting my forehead hit some piano keys. Surprisingly, it sounded better than when I had been trying.

“Oh hey, I heard Ritchie is the new staff advisor for the GSA.” Aurora wrapped her arms around me like we were good friends. I glanced back at her, and she stopped invading my personal space. “You should go; you don’t have to be gay.”

Aurora, Noelle had once told me, was always trying to recruit new people for the Gay-Straight Alliance. I wasn’t sure I understood her obsession; she was a blonde-haired, blue-eyed field hockey player, almost the opposite of other members of the GSA I knew. She didn’t have a boyfriend right then, but that didn’t mean anything.

I didn’t either, after all.

“New?” I said, trying to distract her. “What happened to the old one?”

“Mr. Kais started running that music store with his sister, remember?” She sat down beside me and started plunking out simple songs on the keys immediately in front of her. “He doesn’t have the time.”

“Mr. Kais is…” I stared over at the office door, suddenly getting images of what they were doing in there. I ducked my head so Aurora couldn’t see in case my face was going red again.

“You know, no one actually seems to know,” Aurora said over her rendition of Mary Had A Little Lamb. “Yeah, he founded the GSA, but he’s never gone out with anyone as far as we can tell. Either he’s asexual or even he has issues with his sexuality.”

Mr. Kais was at least thirty-four years old. If he was still struggling with his sexuality at that point, what chance did I have?

“But come on Rin, we really need more members,” Aurora said, stopping her playing so she could prod me in the shoulder. “And you can make friends and stuff. GSA is where I met Keith, after all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment