Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Scene Sunday (Memories)

Most people reading this probably don't remember Memories. It's a book I was writing back last year and never finished (mostly because I got distracted). To give some context, it's a super hero YA novel centering around a guy named Arthur. He has visions, telekinesis, and can 'null' other's powers (meaning make them not work, though for a limited time). I was looking it over last Friday and decided to maybe finish it up so I'd have yet another novel in need of editing :P Aaaaanyway, here's a scene from it.


Chelsea was standing there, looking around. When she finally spotted me standing at the counter, she made her way over, ignoring Maria’s overly-enthusiastic attempts to get her admit that she was looking for something specific in the store.

Her hair was frazzled and she looked like she had stayed up a lot of the night. She even had bags under her eyes. Of course, if I pointed this out, she would’ve killed me. I knew girls that well, at least. “Arthur. I need to talk to you.” She glanced at Tristan and back to me, ignoring him after that.

“I’m kind of working right now. Can it wait?” I said.

“No.”

Even Tristan looked alarmed at that. He started to say something, but I put a hand on his shoulder.

“I’ll be fine,” I said.

Tristan glanced between us but nodded. There was no reason to believe that Chelsea was any kind of danger to me, but he still said, “I’m right here if you need me.”

Chelsea led me all the way to the back parking lot. It was full of cars, but none of their occupants were there right then. Somehow, I had a feeling she had planned that.

“My brother is a wreck,” Chelsea finally said, turning to look at me with her arms folded. I was tempted to say that they had that in common, but I liked my reproductive organs where they were.

“Brother?” I said.

Chelsea nodded, pushing a piece of hair out of her face. “My younger brother. His name is Bryan. He just… appeared home last night, sick and barely conscious. And he said you had something to do with it.”

I cringed at that, remembering the previous night. If you wanted to get technical, I had most to do with that. Gwen had accidently provoked him, but I was the one that nulled his powers and made him sick.

“Chelsea I-”

“I don’t want to hear your excuses. I know Bryan can move things with his mind like you. But he’s harmless.” She had her eyes narrowed, and there was a dangerous tone to her voice that I didn’t like.

She reached her hand out, and I backed away. I didn’t know if she had powers or not, but I wasn’t willing to find out.

“Uh, he… I didn’t have much else to do!” I said. “He went crazy and was trying to hurt my sister. So I got rid of his powers for a while. A lot of people will get sick when I do that to them. But he should’ve been fine when his powers returned.” I realized that I had backed up to a wall, and I didn’t have much else to do unless I wanted to send her flying.

She reached her hand out again, and right before she was able to touch me, she was gone, just like that.

I looked around to see she was standing up on the roof nearby, looking utterly baffled as to how she had gotten there.

“Well then. Lyra warned me about her.” Tristan was standing beside me, his arm propped up on my shoulder as he looked up at Chelsea. “She can paralyze people when she touches them. Not something I’d like to happen.”

I sighed in relief. My heart rate even went back to normal. “Thanks, Tristan.”

Tristan grinned. “Any time, Arthur.”

“So should we get her down?”

“In a few minutes.”

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really fun read! I finished up a novel this year that had been lingering with the last 1.5 chapters unwritten, for quite a while. It's a big mess and I'm not sure I'll even bother editing it, ever. But at least it's finished in draft form :D

    ReplyDelete