Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Friday, April 29, 2011

What Keeps Me Writing

Everybody's got something that keeps them going when it comes to writing, right? Well, in case you didn't know, for me it's yaoi :) Japanese gay romance comics. When I was fifteen I read my first ones and was instantly hooked; in fact, as I say in my About Me, they're why I write gay romance now! I read so many of them that I thought I'd take my hand at my own. That might be the reason my writing is a bit more, uh, idealized when it comes to the romance than some you might see. Yaoi manga rarely has outside conflict when it comes to the whole gay thing; if it exists, it's all within the couple.

Why am I posting about this now? Eh, no particular reason. I just finished watching the fourth episode of the Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi (literally The Best First Love in the World) anime, and it always leaves me feeling giddy. In fact, have the intro :)


Doesn't it just make your heart happy? Just me? Oh well.

Is there anything in particular that got you into your genre, or that you like to watch or read to keep you inspired?

6 comments:

  1. *giggles* That intro is way too adorable.

    I wrote fantasy when I was first starting out, all very much so in the Tamora Pierce tradition, but then all the science fiction television I loved switched me to writing mostly sci-fi. Babylon 5 is my biggest inspiration, but definitely Star Trek was a big motivator, and I am really into Stargate: SG-1 right now. Dr. Daniel Jackson is nomnom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of yaoi and idealized gay love stories, please tell me you have read Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. It's right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I've read it! Got it right here on my shelf. In fact, it's been my inspiration for editing Artistic License; I kind of want to have that same vibe going for it, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song!!!!!

    For me it's Being Human. That show throws out cool fantasy concepts like confetti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, cool! The British or American one? I haven't watched either but I've heard arguments about it XD One of my professors this year is actually friends with one of the writers of the American version. Six degrees of separation really does work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOOD! I think that's the perfect vibe for Artistic License. :DD

    ReplyDelete