Welcome To Fake Paradise!

This is the personal writing blog for Joana Hill, creative writing major extraordinaire! Here you'll find the random ramblings and occasional writings of a girl obsessed with gay romance and the yaoi manga FAKE. You've been warned.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Word Wednesday 1: Translucent

Translucent is an adjective used to describe something that is somewhat transparent but is not, usually because it's colored in some way. For instance:



The black shirt that woman is wearing is translucent, because you can see through it, but unlike:



these lovely windows right here, it is colored so it's not totally see-through. Most windows would be transparent.

Translucent short story:

She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, and she was sitting there at the front of my English 100 class, quietly polishing her nails as we waited for the professor to get there. I actually stopped in the doorway, transfixed by the site until someone pushed past me and I realized I should get out of the way.

Her clothes were thrift shop chic and didn't match each other, but it worked for her. The most striking part was probably the scarf: red and gauzy and translucent. Her brown curls fell gently past it on her shoulders, moving a bit as she worked. I got close enough to see the name of the polish on the bottle: Wedded Bliss. It was light pink.

"You can sit here if you want," she said, not looking away from her left thumbnail. I nodded and did so. I never learned her name that day, as college is different from high school and they don't call attendance religiously. But I would later.

2 comments:

  1. Translucent - what a lovely word. My daughter's favorite is "Chalk." Why is that, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chalk it up to good taste? /bad pun

    ReplyDelete